10.24.2011

New Space, New Plan

So the wife (still getting used to saying that) and I are moving to a new place in mid-november, and it's a hell of a lot bigger than what we've currently got. So space has suddenly become a non-issue. However, time and expense have become bigger issues with my work schedule, and though work is very active, I can't say that I'm getting buff from it (aside from my calves; working 9 hours on your feet has some advantages).

Here's the rundown:

Space: Non-issue.
Use of space: Somewhat of an issue, since the house is a rental and I don't want to destroy anything or annoy my wife and neighbors (somehow, I don't think the little woman would like me to keep a big-ass tractor tire in the driveway).
Time: Issue. I'm an adult with a lot of stuff to do and less time to do it in, sadly. No going to a gym.
Money: Issue. When is it not? The "fun money" monthly allowance I've given myself is $100. A gym membership (even if I had the time) would really eat into that.
Energy: Issue after coming home from work.
Physical Limitations: Strained right tricep that doesn't like extremely high reps. Also, my flexibility sucks. Need to improve that.
Motivation to get buff: Non-issue. I'm posting in BUFF CLUB, for cryin' out loud.

Bottom line: I need to develop a workout that I can do at home in the mornings in a short amount of time on a shoestring budget that doesn't rely solely on calisthenics. It needs to work my muscles, my lungs, my heart, and give a chance to improve my flexibility. Also, I just turned 26 and realized that I need to start building a foundation of support for the parts that will become vulnerable later in life (i.e., my knees, shoulders, and back). This means working the small supporting muscles. My physical requirements lead me to believe that I need a set of exercises that will force me to use my whole body with almost every movement. No more isolating one small group of muscles (the trapezius or biceps or hamstrings, for instance). This will improve coordination, balance, support, and hopefully flexibility/strength through a full range of motion.

While no one workout is the end-all-be-all (hey, even muscles get bored, right?), there are some that are better than others, particularly when it comes to monetary efficiency. I'll be posting my findings as I go along.

IN SUMMARY: I'm hunting around for a workout system that will meet my needs and cost around $100. A tall order, I realize. But I'm going to put in the click-work to find out what fits me best, and then I'm going to put in the money, and then I'm going to put in the sweat. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.